RE: [oletrucks] Re: Purchacing Classic Chevys

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Re: Purchacing Classic Chevys
From: Joe Clark <jclark1@utk.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 07:56:58 -0400
Another story:
I was travelling somewhere in Mississippi and I when I stop for one reason
or another I often check out the yellow pages for junkyards.  I found one
nearby that had some old ADs and I went there and asked the owner, who was a
crusty old man, if I could poke around.  I didn't really find what I needed
but I did find a starter spring that I could use.  I took it off and went to
the owner and asked him how much.  He said "Well, about the best I can do is
buy you a Coke, but you have to leave the bottle".  So he went over to the
machine and plunked in $0.50, I drank my Coke, thanked him and left.
Joe
50 3100

At 06:53 PM 5/4/99 -0700, you wrote:
>> Sam,
>>
>>     Your enthusiasm is infectious!
>>
>>     I'd  be reserved about approaching old-truck owners "cold"
>> about selling
>> their trucks.
>> Usually the reason they still have them, is they have misguided
>> estimates of
>> their worth...
>
>I absolutely cannot pass up this opportunity to add an oletruck story of my
>own.  I got permission from the owner of a gravel company to look through
>his junkyard of '40s-'60s Chevy trucks for some parts that I wanted.  I
>found a good looking set of original gauges in a '52 3/4 ton that I wanted.
>After looking through all of the 20 or so trucks, I returned to his office
>to negotiate a price for the gauges.  He informed me that he would be unable
>to sell me any parts from that particular truck, as he used it "all the
>time".  The truck in question had a 5" diameter tree growing through the
>bed!!!  I couldn't help but laugh as I spread the story around the (small)
>town :)  Some people just CAN'T part with their old iron.

Joe Clark, Southern Appalachian Field Laboratory