Re: [oletrucks] Trailer safety

To: <MarkNoakes@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Trailer safety
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 23:20:59 -0700
My favorite trailer stories are the ones that involve people towing
trailers that are WAY to BIG for the tow vehicle.

I ended up towing a 12,000# (rated load) triple-axle low-boy with a F*&d
Bronco that my boss owned.  I did try to tell him that I thought it was too
much trailer, but he said "just take it slow".  I luckily never ended up in
the ditch, but it was by pure luck that I didn't.  The trailer was way too
heavy and way too long to be pulling with that Bronco.  There was more than
one or two very tense moments on that trip.

I was headed up through Northern Arizona about three years ago where we
spent three hours in a traffic jam.  A guy in a Geo Tracker (or whatever
they call the 4-door version) had been attempting to tow a 20+ foot long
camper trailer.  The trailer easily outweighed the tow vehicle (probably by
at least a ton).  To make a long story short,  on the way down a mildly
steep canyon road, the trailer decided not to follow the tow vehicle and
proceeded to push the tow vehicle into the oncoming lane of traffic where
it met an oncoming semi-truck which drove it back into the trailer it was
towing and pushed the whole mess over a 90 foot embankment into the stream
below.  Not much left.  You could only tell it was a Tracker because the
trailer had partially disintegrated on the trip down the hill.

Kevin Lake
56 GMC Suburban/napco

----------
> From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
> To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
> Subject: [oletrucks] Trailer safety
> Date: Monday, May 03, 1999 6:25 PM
>
> I was talking to someone from the list about hauling trucks on trailers
and
> thought that this story from years ago might help calibrate you guys to
be as
> careful as possilbe.
>
> Brian and my youngest brother Scott were moving a trailer load of junk
for
> their employer, who I consider to be a real nut, as well as rather
careless.
> Brian and Scott were young and wouldn't oppose their boss even though
they
> knew they were overloaded.  The trailer was loaded with a big old car
stuffed
> with a bunch of other junk and being pulled behind a van that was also
loaded
> down.  They were driving through the hills in Alabama on their way from
GA to