newsletters

Re: permission to reprint

To: Bobbo I <BobboI@aol.com>
Subject: Re: permission to reprint
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 10:01:53 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Bobbo I wrote:

>  Has anybody gotton permission from AutoWeek to reprint any articles from
> their magazine?

No.

But if you do ask, make sure you schmoose. Writers like that. Tell them
that your entire club gets together once a month to watch Speedvision
re-runs of the Autoweek TV show and that you all have statues of Leon
Mandel on your dashboards... ;-)

> I sent in an email request a few weeks ago and not heard back
> yet/ I'm thinking of sending a real letter with a copy of our newsletter to
> see that gets any better results. I won;t be able to check email any more this
> week . will check later,     til later Bob Iwan , 80 tr8, CPTC editor

Sending hard copy is always a good thing to do. And include a copy of
your great newsletter. Our club gets way better results (almost too good,
in fact) when we do this (sending a N.L. with a specific request.) Almost
every time we send a NL with a request, we get back hand written notes
followed by other communication with whoever we sent it to. It works!
When I say almost too good, I mean that the vendor follow-up is almost
always requesting info on how they can advertise in our NL. We don't take
advertising, so we ignore those requests, but this shows what kind of
response a hard copy NL can cause.

I've had llimited success asking for permission. The turnaround is very
slow. For example, a paper in the UK ran a story last year around this
time about reviving the Triumph name. It was a well written article, and
I thought it would be of general interest. Well, I'm not sure why, but I
heard back from them quite a while after the request (like three months)
and they were asking for more info about our publication etc. So, you
could short-circuit that by including info about your club and the size
of your circulation and your policy about including material (like "we'll
send you a copy", we give the originator full credit and that sort of thing.)

FWIW, I believe Ken Streeter wound  up getting permission to print the
above mentioned article (about the Triumph revival) for VTR, so you might
want to touch base with Ken to see if he has supplementary suggestions.

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |