newsletters

Re: fold & mutilate

To: rwg1@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: fold & mutilate
From: DFain67gt6@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 00:53:41 -0400

>One tool I'd most like to have is a paper folder. I've seen some pretty
>expensive ones- is anything available that's affordable?
>
>To go along with- could be built into the same unit- a stapler to do the
>center of the fold for pamphlet layout stuff.

Jeez, talk about going dormant, I had almost forgotten I was on this list.

I do just over 200 copies a month, center folded pamphlet newsletter.  I
have a piece of wood glued/screwed to a piece of particle board about
12"X12".  After I put a couple of staples in the middle, I hold one edge of
the stapled stack against the strip that sticks up, fold the outer edge over
loosely so it lines up with the other one, then crease it.  Then I take a
piece
of metal with smooth edges and go over the crease.  It makes the stack of
newsletters lie a lot flatter and they don't tend to hang up in the PO's
sorting equipment.  You can get the big adjustable staplers at any office
supply place.

By the way, a friend who does a lot of SCCA mailing turned me on to
this little tip:  the Post Office is going to come down on those of us
who staple our pamphlets closed on the edge because the staples
catch in their equipment.  I have had some problems with that myself
so I started using the little colored stick on dots to seal mine.  The club
members like them better because they can just rip it open without having
to deal with getting the staple out.  Try it but be sure to give it a pinch
make sure it sticks firmly.  The staples in the fold are OK.

The comments on bulk mailing are great, we had been talking about
doing that since we are now mailing just under 200 a month. I use
the self stick stamps that come in rolls of 100.
Dave Fain
Rocky Mountain Triumph Club, Denver