Re: Crankshaft/Clutch/Measurements &/or compatibility

To: morris@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crankshaft/Clutch/Measurements &/or compatibility
From: Kevin Wayne Williams <kww@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:47:19 -0700
At 19:15 2004/06/28 -0700, Paul wrote:
>Hi Dave,
>

>There are 3 TO bearings used on the inline "A" series engines.  You use the
>one that goes with the engine, without regard to which transmission you're
>using.

Are you sure about that, Paul? When I used a 948 throwout bearing on my 948
mounted ribcase, I got no clutch action. I used a 1275 TO to get it to work.

>Dave, it sounds like you're really wanting to spend some money on flywheels.
>This I don't understand.  A 948 and a 1098 1 3/4" main can be interchanged.
>But why do it because a 948 flywheel weighs about 21 lbs and a 1098 one
>weighs about 15 lbs.  There is also a difference in drillings for the clutch
>covers on these 2 flywheels with the exception of the 1098 ones found on the
>63 or so cars.  That's when they used a smoothcase behind a 1098 with a 948
>clutch cover.  That smoothcase also had ribcase gears in it!!!

I have to echo Paul on this one. I mounted a ribcase to a 948: 948
flywheel/clutch, ribcase from a 1967 Morris, 1275 TO bearing, and sifted
through a few different arms until I got an arm that resulted in the arm
being centered in the opening when the bearing made initial contact. Given
that I am running a Shorrocks on it, that 948 is about as powerful of a 948
as you can build and get it to hold together. What exactly are you trying
to do, and why? People here can probably answer that question. I don't know
if any of us can give you every dimension of the various components.

KWW