Re: Blown 948 Dyno Testing results

To: judson@autox.team.net, morris@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blown 948 Dyno Testing results
From: Kevin Wayne Williams <kww@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:14:20 -0800
At 09:33 PM 2/22/2004 +0100, Robert Greenfield wrote:

>A heavier dashpot spring would enrichen the mixture, but probably at all
>rpm, although I can imagine that it would enrichen more at lower rpm.
>I hope that the data exists somewhere - I've seen adverts from the 1950s
>for Shorrocks superchargers with Morris Minors in the picture!

"Heavier dashpot spring" was the wisdom of the world, so I gave it a shot.
The dyno will have to wait until next week, but the preliminary tests with
a green dashpot spring were very good. Low end performance is back. The
yellow spring (8 oz) wasn't much help. Top end may be just a notch off, but
some good needle selection at the dyno will probably take care of that. The
only noted problem was that if I stomp on it when I am already climbing a
hill at 70MPH, it runs rich enough to put a cloud of grey out the pipe.
Very few Minor pickup owners can even dream of running the test.

All told, this makes sense to me. A 1 3/4 carb is a lot of carb for a 948,
even with a supercharger. The green spring fights the piston rise at the
bottom, and gives me some air velocity back. Even if the green spring keeps
the piston from rising clear to the top, a 948 is never going to demand all
the air that this carb can flow.

KWW