SU Fuel Pump Question

To: morris@autox.team.net
Subject: SU Fuel Pump Question
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:11:05 -0800
2/16/04

Hello all,

        I am in the process of rebuilding several Morris Minor (low
pressure type) SU fuel pumps.  I just heard from what I believe to be a
highly reliable source that there are 2 distinct varieties.  The older type
uses a diaphragm whose round steel center plate (on the point actuating rod
side) is flat.  The pump body of this type is supposed to have a shallow
depression to house the return spring.  The later type uses a diaphragm
with a raised ring (perhaps 1/16" high) on the surface of that steel center
plate and the depression in the body is correspondingly a bit deeper.  The
point of this is that both types of diaphragm are available, and any
accidental interchange could result in too much, or too little, diaphragm
movement.

        I had never seen nor heard of anything like this, so I examined all
my pump bodies and removed diaphragms.  All but 1 diaphragm appear to be
the "older" type, but the bodies are split about half & half.  The
differences are fairly easy to see after a careful look or 2.

        I want to purchase the correct parts and am asking what anybody
else knows about this situation.  My various paarts supplier catalogs do
not list 2 different diaphragms.  So, how about it?

Regards,
David Kernberger