Re: [MorrisMinors] Two-door body panels mix/match

To: morrisminors@smartgroups.com, "Ray" <spook01@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [MorrisMinors] Two-door body panels mix/match
From: rfeibusch1@earthlink.net (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:03:16 -0800
>Rick,
>If you actually found "lots" of '67 Minors in Ca., you might want to keep
>some.  Records indicate less than 100 were sold nationally in the US that
>year.

Ray,

That was over 30 years ago!  Many of them got "used up" as in worn out or
wrecked and provided parts for the remaining examples over the years.  If
you get a chance to see British Car Films "Minors Across America"  you can
see the place where the worn out Minors went to die in NorCal. The "Mine,
Mine, all Minefield" of Steve "Partshoarder" Smith. Once they ended up
there, and Steve aggressively sought these cars out and had a retrieval
trailer, the cars and their parts became unavailable to the general public
- he was one of the few around who had a place to store this stuff - the
whole club had a tougher time until Charlie Ware visited and set up a few
parts distributors and later things got even better with the MMOC in the
UK, the internet and EBay.

There were about 1050 1967 Morris Minors imported commercially by BMC in
1967.  Quell Qvale's British Motor Car Distributors LTD in San Francisco,
that wholesaled to all of the Pacific Northwest, got about 365 of the
1967s, but only a dozen or so each year between 1962 and 1966(and most of
those were vans and pickups).  The national importation was usually under
200 for all models over that same year (I could look up the exact numbers
if anyone really cares -). I personally have owned over 25 1967 Minors
(many of them even ran and sort of stopped!) and that is a measurable
percentage.

All of the LHD cars that I've run across from the 62 - 66 era came in from
Canada or Europe - John Voelcker had a 63 from Switzerland. Many of the
1962 models sold in California were 1961s renumbered as 1962s by adding a
little plastic tab with a 61 on it screwed to the right side of the factory
ID plate making the id # read 62MA2SDL---------, the 61 just started with
the MA2SDL

Cheers,

Rick Feibusch