Re: Alternator upgrade advice

To: BillSvale@aol.com, morris@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternator upgrade advice
From: Joel and Pamela Holmes <holmes@mcn.org>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 07:33:09 -0800
Bill,
    Had you converted the existing generator to negative ground it would
seem you need to re-polarize the generator as this same ignition light
problem will occur. However as you have installed a alternator instead,
what did you do with the voltage regulator?
    As for the wiper motor,  having just spent most of a weekend
rebuilding the wiper motor and my 59 Morris pickup project, I am way too
familiar with the wiper system.   The wiper motor does not care what
polarity you  run so I suspect you have another issue you are dealing
with.  Here's how you test it.  The wiper motor has three wires going to
it; one is the hot wire, 2nd is the chassis ground, 3rd is the wire to
the switch.  With the ignition switch on, first check that you have
power to the hot lead on the motor.  Assuming that is hot,  at the wiper
motor disconnect the other wire going to the switch and connect a wire
directly from the motor switch terminal to the ground side of the
battery with the ignition switch on.  At this point the wiper motor
should run.  If not you have a motor problem.  If it does run then you
have a problem in the wiper switch circuit.  The wiper switch circuit is
only a break in the ground leg to the wiper motor so check this wire
(with the wire disconnected from the motor)  for continuity to ground .
 With the wiper switch in the on position you should get a connection to
ground.  This wiper switch circuit picks up a ground at the "E" terminal
of the original voltage regulator.  If you have changed any of this with
your conversion,  this may be the area you need to look at.  Also the
"E" terminal picks up its ground from the harness ground strap which is
bolted to the firewall about 6 inches below the fuse block behind a
bolt.  Make sure it is clean and put a little dielectric grease on it if
you have some around.  This ground strap problem turned out to be the
problem that resulted in my wiper system rebuild that still didn't run
when completed because of no ground.  Good luck.

Joel Holmes
60 Morris 2-Dr Saloon
59 Morris Pick-up
60 Morris Woody