Minor Questions

To: morris@autox.team.net
Subject: Minor Questions
From: BPAULTR3@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:55:41 EDT
Hello All;

Recently we brought a 1960 Morris Minor 1000 into our home.  It my son's
first car.  He is not yet able to drive so he has 2 years to work on it.
It's really a very solid car, most of it I would call 'nice'. Major work he
must do is to inspect and restore the suspension, steering and hydraulics and
install the engine.  We did just have the front chassis leg on the
passsenger's side replaced.(whew $600 to install). No other rot that we have
found yet.  We purchased the factory repair manual to guide us in this work,
but we do have a few questions on which the opinion of experienced Minor
owners would be valued.

1. Suggestions for parts suppliers?

2. There is a later  MG engine, 1275 cc, going into the car which I've been
told requires a larger diameter exhaust system than the stock system.  Any
direction on this?  Installation, Size, Availability, suppliers?

3.  The little front brake drums scare me a bit.  I've read that they are
perfectly adequate for day to day driving. But compared to the disc assembly
on an early TR, which is a lighter weight car, they have my attention.   Any
comments?  Is there a disk brake swap that is straightforeward?

4. He will be disassembling the suspension and brakes for inspection and
repair. Any guidance here?  Specific high wear typical problem areas?

5. What literature have you found particularly usefull other than the factory
 manual and Skilleteers's book?

6.  Parts interchangeability.  Clearly many of the bolt on bits are off the
shelf items found on lots of other Brit cars of the era.  It would be nice to
know which parts can be found of other cars.  I'll be comparing what comes
off  this Minor to similar TR bits I've got but it would be nice to know in
advance.  Anyone ever put together an interchangeability of parts list for
the Minor?

Thanks in advance for any input you are willing to give to this 14 year old
next generation of Minor owners.  He's already got his eye on a Traveller
hulk !!  Is the car disease genetic??

All the Best
Bob Paul
Corrales NM