Minor brake ??

To: "'morris@autox.team.net'" <morris@autox.team.net>
Subject: Minor brake ??
From: Ruggiero Larry Lt Col AFRC/XPXS <Larry.Ruggiero@AFRC.AF.MIL>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:03:06 -0400
Greetings--

I'm currently rebuilding the brakes on a friend's 1967 Minor convertible. I
can't seem to remove the rear wheel cylinder from the back plate. The Haynes
manual mentions a circlip that retains the cylinder around a boss which
protrudes through the back plate, but the only thing I can see is some sort
of thin metal piece that's on the front of the backplate that matches the
opening through the back plate. It's not clear if this is the circlip and
prodding it with a small screwdriver leads me to believe that it won't come
off non-destructively. I can slide the wheel cylinder up and down freely and
it will also pull out part way from the top (all other connections are
removed). It seems like pulling the axle shaft might provide it more room to
come out some, but don't want to hassle with all the spilled diff fluid.
HELP!!

Larry Ruggiero
Warner Robins GA