Trans input shaft length

To: morris@autox.team.net
Subject: Trans input shaft length
From: David Kernberger <dkern@napanet.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:59:06 -0800
1/10/02

To the group,

        1100 cc Spridget (maybe 1275 cc as well) engines have a thicker
plate between engine and gearbox than do the 948 Morris minors.  I have
known this for a long time but only recently realized it brings up a
question.  Does this mean the ribcase gearbox, used on 1100s and 1275s, has
a longer input shaft than do the smoothcase trannies used on the 948s????
Also, does this mean that fitting a smoothcase box to an engine with the
thick plate will result in a shaft which does not enter the pilot bushing
completely???

        Or this thickness difference taken care of in some other way, such
as machining material of the rear face of the engine block??  I would
really like to know just what the situation is.

TIA.

Cheers,

Dave Kernberger