Fuel tank coating and brake line bits

To: <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel tank coating and brake line bits
From: "Robin & Ron" <robinnron@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 21:10:20 -0500
    I trust everyone (in the Midwest, at least) is enjoying sudden spring.
    Am hoping for advice on 2 subjects: fuel tank and brake line hardware.
('67 4/4 Series V Comp)

A.    Have removed a leaking fuel tank.  It has been previously repaired and
has an off-white to beige colored sealer on the inside.  My local shop says:
a) that soldering the repair will burn some of it off, b) he can't put his red
sealer on anything but bare metal, c) he has no idea how to get the white
stuff off, d) is happy to fix the leaks but wants no part of it after that.
My questions are: 1) Any idea what the white stuff is and how one would get it
off?  2)  Is it possible to clean the burnt white stuff out and recoat with
more white stuff?  3)  Is there a problem with having it soldered, cleaning
out all the loose burnt white stuff, and using it as is?

B.    I need a union for British 3/16 brake line double-flare fittings -- to
join two brake lines.  The US version is the right thread but too shallow for
the longer nose on the Brit fitting.  Only about 2 threads catch.  A male plug
would also be useful.  Several good suggestions for substitutes have the same
problem.  Any idea where to get such items?

Thanks,
Ron Kerans
'67 4/4 Series V Comp