4/4 oil pressure relief valve?

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: 4/4 oil pressure relief valve?
From: Steve Gilbert <sgilbert@wpusd.k12.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 20:42:41 +0000
Help,

Tonight while changing oil and filter on the trusty 4/4 1600 xflow, I
have a new found challange...  When I removed the filter housing I
hear a clunk as something hard drops into the oil collection pan.  I
fish out a valve. Aprox 1/2" in diameter, a little spring loaded
thingie.  Well, this is a new problem as THIS part has never dropped
off previously.  I can see where it goes but...

1. Does anything hold this in (obviously nothing did this time!!!)
                      Does it screw in?  Pressure fit???   ???
2. Does the spring end go into the housing first???

TIA

Steve Gilbert, stranded with a weekend trip to Tahoe planed...
Auburn, CA