RE: Transporting a Morgan...

To: "'Morgans'" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Transporting a Morgan...
From: "DeLuca, Joseph" <Joseph.DeLuca@wl.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 17:39:42 -0400
That's 13 back-wrenching hours. No thanks! I draw
the line at 8-hours. Now if it were my VW with the
Recaro-style seats it would be a different story.

Besides, this is it's maiden voyage (for me) and I
don't want to find out all it's little peccadilloes
in one miserable trip.  When I purchased my '62
4/4 in 1985 I figured a little trip to the Poconos
(PA) would be a good first outing and the rear wheel
fell off on Route 80 at 65mph.

This is because the fool who sold it had the car
up on blocks previously and had slapped the wheels
on with limp-wristed torque. And the fool who bought
it hadn't checked. I've never bought a used car since
without checking to see if the lug nuts were on tight.

Nor have I accepted a car back from servicing without
checking to see if I can undo the lug nuts myself
using common roadside tools. Those danged tire shops
use their air-guns without bothering to use a specific
torque setting. They just tighten them until they
turn red.

That's why I wouldn't drive the Morgan home from South
Carolina.

Joe D