RE: Wood Frame Assembly- no glue

To: "'FPS3@aol.com'" <FPS3@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Wood Frame Assembly- no glue
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:00:39 -0500
Fred,

Thanks for setting me straight as far as the glue is concerned.  Guess
building car bodies and furniture are not the same. However, I wonder, if
wood bodies are designed to flex, why they need to flex at the joints and,
if they flex at the joints, would the joints not loosen over time.

Another role glue plays is to fill whatever gaps there are in the wood and
thus prevent moisture penetrating the wood.  Pre-treating the wood with a
wood preservative or, as John Blair has done, using the West System epoxy
are alternatives but how about a silicone coating (the stuff we put around
bath tubs)?

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4