RE: Tire jack WHERE TO JACK is important!!!

To: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>,
Subject: RE: Tire jack WHERE TO JACK is important!!!
From: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:39:37 -0500
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --

If  your chassis is too fragile to be jacked up at any point  along its
length without worry of  a  causing damage you have a much bigger problem
than what or where to jack.
The same is true of the rear axle which to my experience is truly a weak
link  in that the tubes are a light press fit into the differential case and
can cock easily . But if jacking the car by the axle is going to cause
damage then the problem is already in place and needs attending .
For road use I have found that you need a scissors jack which has a lot of
leverage in the fully down position and  is as flat as possible since with a
flat  tire the chassis gets very very close to the ground   I've found
several scissors jacks that   will not fit under the chassis with a flat
tire and many others which do not have enough reduction to lift  the car .
Somewhere on the banks of the Red River is a scissors jack which served me
very well  for years  lifting the car when the tires  were inflated, but
bent like a pretzel the first time I attempted  to lift the car with a flat
tire.

Bob Nogueiira   ( who is not jacking you around on this issue )

PS MGB used a jack very similar to the Morgan factory jack but the
post which fits into the receptor on the car may be bigger on the MGB .