Strippers

To: "Morgans@Autox.Team.Net" <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Strippers
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 14:38:33 -0700
Chip,
I have stripped fenders several ways in the past. I have used aircraft paint
remover that you can purchase from the local auto paint store. It is messy
stuff and you need to wear a respirator since it has a very strong ammonia
smell and all kind of warnings on the label. The good part is that it is
water soluble, however it does leave a mess with all the old paint.

I have also taken parts to these chemical dip places, but I don't believe
there are many left since the EPA has closed most of them down. Those work
well as long as there is not much rust. This process removes old bondo and
rust, so if the fenders are in bad shape from rust there may not be much
left when you get the parts back.

The other way is to sand blast, but the problem with this is metal
deformation. The places that know what they are doing don't actually use
sand, but something more like a fine powder that shouldn't deform the metal.
I have seen advertised a place in Connecticut that has process that is
suppose to not deform the metal. Their name is American Dry Strip, their
phone number is 203-336-9187 and they are located in Bridgeport, Ct. I would
be interested if anyone has experience using them or their process. I am
thinking about stripping down my MGB this winter and I am considering this
place.

Regards,
Phil Roettjer
67 +4