RE: Wing Mounts

To: Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com, morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Wing Mounts
From: Gerry Willburn <Gerry.Willburn@trw.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 14:05:21 -0700
The problem has two sources.

  The first is that the cross-axle moves around from the stresses on the
suspension and from braking.  This can be reduced significantly by
installing a strut from the kingpin bolt at the top down to the chassis at
the rearward bolt of the damper blade mounts.  The bottom is already braced.
I think that there is an article on John Blair's web page about this.  If
there isn't, there should be.

  The second problem is that the winglamp bolts are the only thing holding
the wing to the wing stay and the winglamps sit in a thick rubber base which
prevents them from being tightened (Flat-Rads had two mushroom bolts to hold
the wings on).  If you have not already installed wing mirrors, install them
inboard and along side the winglamps with the bolt going through the wing
stay.  These can be cinched down tighter than the winglamps (and will hide
the cracks already there).  The rubber spacer under the wings also helps.  I
have also found that having the mirrors mounted inboard of the lamps keeps
them from being bumped as often walking past the car.

Good Luck,

Gerry