Re: For Those Who've Read the C&D Article...

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: For Those Who've Read the C&D Article...
From: mcrossan@netcom.ca
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 23:19:40 -0400 (EDT)
On 05/08/99 20:58:48 you wrote:

>David-
>         Really looks like the Prowler...Maybe Lawrence has delusions ala De
>Lorean
>and is using the Morgan name and contacts to reconstruct his own self?
>         Price-wise, I don't get it either, for that kind of money someone
>could get two
>or at least one and a half cars to equal the performance.
>         Question? Any one from the left coast familiar with the Lawrencetune
>West
>story?
>Tony in NJ

I must agree on the Prowler similarities and questioning of Lawrence's
involvement. While the new
Morgan sounds interesting with it's BMW V8, Getrag gearbox, etc, I must
question the MMC's ability
to compete in the market that +8 GTR seems to be placed.  Power assisted this
and that is not
Morgan's thing.  I fear that these are the signs of "compromise" in Morgan's
philosophy. While
it's performance sounds as though it is well into "supercar" territory, I don't
think it's a can
of worms Morgan should open. At very least not without maintaining it's
traditional appeal as a
minimalist roadster - what really sell sthe cars. Lawrences enthusiasm for the
project and its
racing prospects (the fact that it will race, not necessarily do well) are
somewhat comforting
though.

And what's the deal with the new steering wheels that look as though their from
Chevy's latest
sport-utility vehicle?  IMHO Changes like this erode Morgan's necessary appeal,
without which the
company will not survive.  I understand it is a change legislated into being,
but maybe a bit more
effort is required to maintain the car's character.

Maybe I'm mistaken, only read the articel once, but I thought the pricing of
the car was
reasonable. Very expensive but bang per buck, a satisfactory buy at 80K US
(assuming what C&D and
Morgan reports is true.) Not only would it have the performance to match (or
beat) Vettes and
Vipers (disregarding outright top speed) but it has the Morgan craftsmanship,
exclusivity, and
possibly charm, depending on how the final product is pulled off.

It is primarily Morgan's deviation from their traditional philosophy of "no
compromise" that
bothers me, despite the fact the car still looks somewhat like a Morgan.

David