Re: Cleaning cream switches and Indicator switch

To: "Morgans@Autox.Team.Net" <Morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning cream switches and Indicator switch
From: "Ernest(Chip) Brown" <ebrown@ms.com>
Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 11:12:52 -0400
I have serious doubts about this voltage regulator business. In any set of
points, the metal migrates from one side of the points to the other. Reverse
the poles and you reverse the direction that the metal migrates. So you get a
hickey on the inboard side of the contact instead of the outboard side. What
difference can this make for the life of the part?  I reversed the polarity on
my Plus 4 three years ago, and the voltage regulator is still working just fine
and has NO visible pitting. I also added a 1" battery strap from my starter to
the frame, with a clean contact, and cleaned up the connection to the battery
from the frame. What a difference in cranking power. (All this for an
electronic fuel guage that I still can't get to show "E" or "F". I use a stick
instead.) I think all that talk about rusting frames because of reversed
polarity or bipolarity or whatever is, to use a family expression, "hooey".

Chip Brown