Re: Cleaning cream switches and Indicator switch

To: Eric Cummins <ecummins@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning cream switches and Indicator switch
From: Ben Palmer <palsy@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 09:43:42 -0400
Dear Gang:
     On my 1957 Plus 4, I finally deterrmined the problem with the
wiring system.  It seems the autocar had been converted at some time
very early in its life from 6 volt to 12 volt and positive to negative
polarity.  But not completely.  I found this because the hand brake
cable was HOT.  Really HOT.  The coil inside worked as a heating element
and put a big draw on the whole system.  There were discrepancies
between various wiring diagram references and the stock system actually
installed in the car.  They did what they thought was necessary when
converting the system.  However, things originally as ground became hot
and those intended as hot became the return side.  It shouldn't make a
difference normally, but if the circuit to the blinkers on the wings is
reversed, a short in the system under the dash may cause problems.  That
is why it is probably better to replace the whole system with a new,
consistently designed system.  I do not know whether my problems were
due to its Pennsylvania Hillclimb heritage.  I guess it was "just one o
them thar racing deals".

Ben Palmer