RE: Rear Wheel Hub Removal

To: "'Jeff Webster'" <carfindr@tiac.net>,
Subject: RE: Rear Wheel Hub Removal
From: "Blair, John" <JBlair@scn.spawar.navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 07:23:59 -0400
Jeff,

    I didn't see any responses so here's my thoughts.

You don't need to pull the backing plate unless you want to remove the axle!

To pull the hub from the axle, do just what you say.  However, it isn't that
easy!
I you truly have a hub puller and not just a standard 2 or 3 jaw gear
puller, once
You have taken a strain on the hub, you will need about a 5# mall.  Then hit
the
End of the puller.  The shock helps break the hub loose.  Then try to
retighten the
Puller, and repeat the hammer hit.  This may take several attempts.  The
other
Possibility is if you have a  GOOD impact wrench and an impact socket large
Enough to fit over the end of the puller, try using that.  I've had very
good success
Doing that on numerious rear ends.

John

John T. Blair
jblair@scn.spawar.navy.mil
SPAWARSYSCEN Chesapeake
Chesapeake, Va                                 (757) 523-8133