1987 Morgan 4/4

To: "Morgan List" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1987 Morgan 4/4
From: "Ross Jones" <rossjones@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 05:56:26 -0400
After twenty years, I finally bought the car of my dreams. On March 19, 1999
I purchased a 1987 Morgan 4/4, mileage 5,910. The car is powered by LP gas
with IMPCO conversion. It has steel wire wheels painted dull silver (the
previous owner told me they were aluminum, and I think he actually believed
this). Color is Rosso Red.

My name is Ross Jones and I am located in Landisville, Pa., just outside of
Lancaster. I purchased the car from Steve Fureman in York, Pa. Mr. Fureman
purchased the car around August 19, 1998. At that time, the title says the
mileage was 5,720. When I purchased the car on March 19, the mileage was
5,910. Steve kept the car in a heated warehouse and only drove it 190 miles.
I am the third owner of this car. Mr. Fureman stated he purchased the car
from Cantab Motors, and that the car originally came from Florida. However,
Cantab has no record of the car. I was hoping someone on the Morgan list
could help me tracking down some history on the car.

The Serial Number on the car is: 1S9AF02C5HS200390.

Inside the engine compartment are the following numbers:

SA90 4/4000MM004008.
Chassis No. C7390

The engine is the Ford Escort model. The entire engine compartment is
spotless. I did find two nuts missing from the bottom of the radiator...
they must have fallen off, but the bolts where still seated in the holes.

At first I was skeptical of the mileage, but the car appears to be brand
new. The only signs of age are on the tan leather interior and fuzz-balls on
the carpet. I used a "sweater razor" to clean them off, but they came back
after two days. The carpets must be real wool. The tools were still wrapped
in paper in the toolbox, and I must have been the first to tear them open.

I was lucky enough to get one of the last copies of Fred Sisson's excellent
Bedside Reader. But with the car being in such great shape, the only chapter
I need right now is the maintenance one.

I think I made a terrific buy... paid $26,000 for the car. Does anyone have
opinions on converting back to regular gas from propane? A mechanic friend
of mine said I should keep the propane, he has seen engines last 300,000
miles running it. There seems to be no loss of power, I had the car up to
105 mph and could have gone more.

In the 70's I had an MGA, a TR3, and a Daimler SP-250. Only the Daimler was
quicker than this Morgan (it was the fastest car I ever drove). I also have
a 1993 Dodge Stealth (non-turbo). When I drive the Stealth now, I feel like
I am driving a Cadillac, and keep getting the reverse and turn signals
messed up. Waiting for some nicer weather to really drive the car!