Re: one-shot lubrication

To: Bob Tescione <mogman@rpa.net>, Morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: one-shot lubrication
From: GOLDMAN <snotrek@cil.qc.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:18:01 -0400
I am not the expert with the front suspension as some but I recently changed my
front bushes and pins and tested a
number of options. Here are our observations;

1.    the one shot oiler system (if it is working) washes out any quality of
grease if the motor has run more than a
very few minutes before it has been used..

2.    anything but absolutely clean motor oil is a risk to the lubrication
process though clean oil washes grease out
better than dirty oil. (weird but true)

3.  a high quality grease definitively can flow through the channel in the
kingpin, then through the tiny lubrication
hole and run between the kingpins and bushes.

4. grease is a better bushing lubricant than dirty motor oil.

5. hard chromed kingpins create less friction between the kingpins and their
bushes and presumably will then allow
the bushes to last longer.

6. bushes should not only be HONED rather than reamed but also honed and
aligned (if you didn't understand that from
the start)....a good machine shop will have a honer and also the necessary
equipment to measure the perfect alignment
of the bushes...

So, for my money, unscrew the one-shot oiler line from the kingpin bolt and
secure it with tie wraps..(never know
when something better will be invented that needs it), replace the lines with
two grease nipples and grease every
1000 miles or so...this experiment will cost you the price of two grease
nipples (50 cents each) and 15 minutes of
time.

Good luck