Re: Differences

To: Bob Tescione <mogman@rpa.net>
Subject: Re: Differences
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 18:26:04 +0100
<mogman@rpa.net> writes
>Jeremy Edwards wrote:
>> The obvious changes are the scuttle roll bar, the tubular rear dampers
>> and the rear bar for the rear damper mounts. I understand from my last
>> conversation with the stores that less obviously the rear springs have a
>> more consistent temper, the dampers are better quality and the chassis
>> are stiffer, being better stuck together.
>>
>> Over the years, Morgan have made discrete efforts to increase the
>> effective suspension travel by varying the spring rates and the beefed
>> up stub axles on +8s probable grab less on the kingpin with heavy
>> cornering.

snip

>So does this imply that we who have older Morgans can improve the car's
>ride by changing to tubular shocks in the rear with a cross brace and
>possibly rigging a scuttle brace? Or does a better ride break too much
>from tradition!

When my car was rebuilt I added the scuttle roll bar and the tubular
rear dampers to a new chassis and I feel it does ride better- instead of
the chassis twisting the springs are made to work a little. However, as
so much was changed at the same time, I cannot vouch for the effect of
each bit.

As for the tradition, compared to most modern cars, the ride is still
diabolical- just a little more predictable!
--
Jeremy Edwards