Re: What Sort of Clutch Problem

To: ebrown@ms.com
Subject: Re: What Sort of Clutch Problem
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 17:38:14 -0400
At 09:22 AM 6/1/98 -0400, ebrown@ms.com wrote:
>When cold and at a standstill, putting my '57 Plus 4 (#3714) into gear
>is easy, noiseless, no grinding. Increasingly, after a good warm up,
>it is hard (again, at a standstill) to get the car into reverse or
>first without grinding the gears. Once moving, is not a problem with
>the remaining three gears. There's no free play to speak of in the
>clutch mechanism, and the clutch otherwise seems fine, no juddering or
>slipping. I wonder if any of you have any thoughts? I am keeping my
>fingers crossed about doing a midsummer clutch rebuild....

Chip,

  I don't beleive that your gear box has a syncro for 1st and I know
it doesn't in reverse.  This is not really an uncommon problem.  I've
had the same problem on many of my cars, both with and without 1st
syncros.

  IMHO, when cold, the oil is thicker and acts as a syncroniser as it
heats up, it thins out and doesn't act like a syncroniser.  I've found
that by going into second gear before trying to hit 1st, all my cars seem
to go into 1st a lot easier.  Same for reverse,  hit 2nd then try
reverse.  Also while you are in neutral, a goose the accelerator just
before you depressing the clutch to try to put the xmission in either
1st or rev.

I don't think that this is really a clutch problem.  (However, I'm not
saying that it isn't.)

Hope this helps.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V