Re:

To: "Stephen F. Bauserman" <sbauserman@actsnet.com>
Subject: Re:
From: Arlin Robins <arlin@slip.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:14:03 -0700
Stephen F. Bauserman wrote:

> Bob:
>
> Hope you do not need a new crank, but it kind of sounds that way.  The info
> on the bearings is good to have.  It appears things in Texas are not all
> that great at the moment.
>
> This will have to fall in the misery loves company department.  We brought
> Scarlet back from the MOGMOG trip to the hill country on three forward
> gears.  First and reverse were gone.
>
> The problem was one of the three fingers on the clutch pressure plate had
> broke and in turn destroyed the throw-out bearing.  The bad news is the
> three finger style pressure plate is no longer made and the diaphragm style
> is shorter.  That means a spacer must be fabricated to go on the hub the
> throw-out bearing mounts on to move it closer to the fly wheel.
>
> None of this is really a big deal until you realize it all has to be done in
> five days because the car is entered in a show this coming week-end and I am
> out of town two days this week on business.  We drove home Sunday afternoon
> unpacked the car, ate lunch and waited for the engine to cool off.  Then I
> went to work.  I think I now have engine pulling down to a science.  It took
> two hours from the time I picked up the first wrench until the engine
> cleared the cowl on the hoist.
>
> The parts are due from Dave Bean Engineering on Thursday morning and I pick
> up the spacer at the machine shop Friday morning.  Only time will tell at
> this point if Scarlet makes it to the show.  I think it looks good, but
> there is no room for a mistake.
>
> Steve Bauserman

Steve,
        Sorry to hear about Scarlet's woes; I hope you'll be able to make your
show. Have you read the clutch section in Fred Sisson's book in which he
recommends a conversion to the MGB clutch, largely due to the breaking
"fingers" syndrome. I don't know if it applies to 4/4's, but a quick
e-mail to Fred would clarify.
        Good Luck in the week ahead.
Michael Jhon