Tenderfoot Questions

To: "morgans@autox.team.net" <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Tenderfoot Questions
From: larry <mamlet@dmv.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:20:49 -0400
Actually, it's only my left foor that's tender; my throttle foot is
robust.

I have just inherited a '63 4/4 which seems sound except for a half
dozen major items.  I'll think about them some other day.  The small
ones are the killers.

Skyward, opposed to gravity, greater in altitude and/or potential energy
— I now have a grip on which way is up and am ready for another fact or
two and will appreciate any help, wisdom, advice and/or encouragement
you can spare.

 I do have the *original operator's* manual, but it refers to another
vehicle altogether, perhaps a generation newer.  Maybe the *original
operator drove a Lancia, Zim or Delage*.  My car does NOT have a neg.
ground system andthere are no protrusions on the steering column to
operate non-existent services like hazard lights or air-conditioning.

There is, however, an impressive array of toggle switches in middle of
the (RHD) dash.  I figured out the turn signals, heater, wipers,
headlights and off-side driving light switches.
That leaves several to be accounted for.  By sheer luck I have turned
off whatever was draining the battery, but don't even know which switch
it was.  There is also a push on/push off switch like those in
dime-store table lamps.  Whatever it influences makes a  whirring sound
someplace forward of the scuttle.

1) Does anybody know about these controls or how to shift from high to
low beams?

The front suspension-oiler has a Citroen-like fitting on the forward
side of the scuttle.  It has the three oil lines connected to it and
appears to function just fine.  Atop this valve sits a disk of some
sort, with electric terminals on its underside.  Wires — or a wire —
have been cut.

2) What is the disk, diaphragm, whatever?  What was the electrical
function?  Is there a (disrupted) association to the clump of switches?

The bonnet (top, capot, ragtop) mechanism consists of vinyl cover and
steel bows connected by two longitudinal vinyl strips which keep the
bows in position.

3) How to remove the bonnet when these strips are tacked or nailed to
the rim of the rear deck?

The seat-cushions have collapsed.  Rather than air-bladders, they appear
to be filled with dead foam and old IBM punch-cards.

4) What do the experts use to stuff their cushions?  Would a 12"
innertube softly inflated do the trick?  Sort of a heavy-duty hemorrhoid
donut?  Kapok seems too firm, foam too soft, gel too expensive, etc.

I have 218 more of these questions and no idea how you all feel about
answering, and so consider these a trial run.  I have seen references to
Fred Sisson's book:  how do I get a copy?

Thank you.

Larry Mamlet
'63 4/4