Aftermarket wheels for Mogs?

To: morgans <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Aftermarket wheels for Mogs?
From: Joseph DeLuca <DELUCAJ@mops.wl.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 10:39:21 -0400
Hello again,

Here's another question this group might be able to help me with...

My '62 4/4 has the standard steel wheels and each spring I have to sand and
repaint them.  Also, to be honest, they're not very exciting to look at.

Is anyone out there had any luck with aftermarket alloys that look fairly
correct on a Morgan?

The Morgan bolt pattern is somewhat unique, although it is shared by VW
Beetles.  In a pinch you can mount an old VW wheel to get you home, but the
offset is different and I think that long-term use could result in bearing
trouble.  For this reason I don't think alloy wheels intended for VW's are a
suitable replacement  (furthermore, when gas pump jockeys inquire as to whether
my Mog is a VW kit car, I would have to confess that parts of it are.  I
couldn't handle that).

Once, many years ago I bought a set of used racing mags.  They had rounded
spokes like a Mini-Lite  and looked rather "period", and they were made of real
magnesium.  The problem was they rubbed on my brake calipers.  The difficulty
could not be resolved with judicious "shaving" of either the caliper or the
wheel so I had to return the set.  The other problem, which I never had the
chance to experience, was that real magnesium becomes porous with age and tends
to leak air.

So,  can you recommend a source for new alloys that will fit properly?

Joe DeLuca
Sparta, NJ
'62 yellow 4/4