Auction - 4/4 Morgan

To: Morgans - Univ Utah <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Auction - 4/4 Morgan
From: "William E. Irwin" <cigrbill@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 17:18:20 -0500
Went to the auction this afternoon, checkbook in hand.  The car had been
donated to the Captiva (FL) Civic Association.  The car was 34th in a
list of things to be auctioned off to benefit sea turtle research.

I had previously decided that $8,000 would be a good deal and that I
would not go over $10,000. The car was in good shape, but a fussy person
would have repainted it.  After 16 years there were signs of wear.  The
chrome on a couple of the wheels was flaking off.

The bidding started with a telephone bid of $10,000 from someone on Boca
Grande who stayed with the bidding for awhile.  The final bid was
$13,500 from a local.  This same person had previous paid $500 for a
Budweiser Frog neon bar sign (about $450 more than it was worth)
indicating, at least to me, that when it came to bidding, he was not to
be triffled with.  He told me that he had once previously driven a
Morgan in Spain.

I'm relieved I didn't get it.  Two Morgans is enough, unless I come
across a 3-wheeler.

        CigarBill