Re: Morgan Plus 4, 1951 model

To: Fred_H._Birkbeck@ieaust.org.au
Subject: Re: Morgan Plus 4, 1951 model
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 08:13:53 -0500 (EST)
> The MOSS gearbox on my 1951 Morgan Plus 4 becomes very hot during travel.
> Within 10 km the gearbox casing is too hot to place a bare hand on it.  My
> guess is that it is somewhere above 60 degrees Celsius.  The heat is NOT
> being transferred from the motor through the alloy bell housing.
> Can anybody please advise if this may be normal?
> I have replaced the gearbox bearings with new bearings.  All else looks OK
> and all shafts spin quite freely.  I am using the correct 30 weight gearbox
> oil.

Fred:

I don't have any profound insight into this but I do have a question to
help me puzzle over it.  Isn't it true that the Moss box in the +4 is not
directly mated to the engine but is located between two prop shafts on
the chassis?  I have a good friend who is very slowly restoring his +4
dhc and that's the arrangement on his car.   His is a later model, but
I'm not sure of the exact year, many years after yours.  Id have a
hard time thinking that that heat derived from the engine, but was generated
within
the box itself.  It strikes me as excessive, but I'm very interested in
what other +4 owners might say.

Mercifully, we 4/4 owners have our trannys directly attached to the
engines, and the whole d**n car gets hot, so I've never bothered with the
temp of the tranny itself  ;-)

Cheers,
Will Zehring