Re: Negative camber

To: BOB NOGUEIRA <NKED65A@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: Negative camber
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 21:18:33 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, BOB   NOGUEIRA wrote:

> -- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --
>
> My 64 Morgan has negative camber on the front wheels ( The tires  look
> sorta  \   /   from the front)  I've noticed that many of the older
> British cars also have negative camber.
>  What was the purpose of setting up the front suspension with ---
> camber ?  It would appear that newer Morgans while retaining the same
> suspension   ( hey, if it was good in 1912 it should be good today )
> have eliminated the neg camber. A British firm sells a Decambering kit
> for the Morgan. Any ideas on what I could expect if I decamber my car?
> ( other than better tire wear ).

Bob, you are referring to _positive_ camber.  Negative is like this: / \
I read once that the positive camber worked well with bias ply tires, but
that when you change to radials, you should change the camber to 0
degrees.
Of course I read this in an ad for a decambering kit...

You will experience better grip in the front when cornering.  If your car
understeers right now it might make your car more neutral.

Ulix
                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy