Re: Brake lines

To: rovernet@ganglion.anes.med.umich.edu
Subject: Re: Brake lines
From: "Steve Manwell" <Steve_Manwell@WE-KNOW-ENERGY.XENERGY.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 96 17:42:52 EST
     I have replaced some (it'll be *all* eventually) of the brake lines on
     my 3 litre with cupro-nickel alloy lines.  These lines will not rust.
     They are a little harder to bend than copper, but not quite as stiff
     as steel lines.  Both copper and cupro-nickel lines are very popular
     in the UK -- see Practical Classics, etc.

     Either material is available in 25 foot lengths in the UK from many
     auto supplies (@ 8 to 10 pounds sterling ea.).  I think I have seen
     two suppliers offering the same product in the US (but with a hefty
     markup).  I don't know if it is legal to make this retrofit in your
     state, so you're on your own here.  However, *I think* that some OE
     manufacturers are using cupro-nickel now in the US market (can anyone
     confirm this?).

     So, you could make up your own new lines, re-using the old fittings
     and then making the appropriate flares with a flaring tool.  If you go
     this route, make sure the tool does *double* flares (not single).
     Also, make sure each flare is centered; if not, start again.  (Buy a
     better flare tool than the one I used and this will be easier.)

     Other related notes:  1) You could also use old fittings and put
     flares on new pipes (harder on the flare tool and flares may not be as
     good).  2) Brass fittings are available from the UK -- I have no
     experience with these, but I should get some.  3) I have adapted
     stainless bleeder screws (ground down the end) from a US supplier for
     use in Girling wheel cylinders.

     I will dig for the details on the sources mentioned.

     --Steve Manwell
     smanwell@xenergy.com