mini-baja

Battery Charging Systems

To: mini-baja@autox.team.net
Subject: Battery Charging Systems
From: D F <teggianese@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:22:13 -0800 (PST)
Hello fellow Mini Baja Team:

We are a relatively young team and we had a question
about charging the car's battery off the B&S engine
that is provided. We are using electronically
activated rear hubs and didn't want to be stuck
mid-race with a dead battery.We emailed B&S and their
response was that we needed a new (different)
flywheel, stator, and misc hardware. That's cool with
us and we're going to purchase the additional parts
and make it work but we were wondering if any teams
have done a similar charging system, of course the
charging would take place only when the engine is
running.
On a related note in section 21.4.17 Onboard
Instrumentation/Data Acquisition it states that "The
power for this instrumentation may be from approved
batteries. The batteries should be sealed and of the
dry chemical type (e.g. alkaline) or gel type." Would
you know if a normal ATV battery (not dry type) is
okay to use if you're NOT using onboard
instrumentation or data acquisition?

Thnaks a million for any input or help you could give
us

BU Mini Baja