Re: Rust Dipping/Tanking

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rust Dipping/Tanking
From: James Jewell <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 00:53:37 -0400
Cc: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
All,
Is the leaching of chemicals out of seams from the older acid dips, or the newer dips that are electro-chemical in involve un-plating the rust off the car by alternately turning the car into a anode and cathode?
JJJ

edd.rogers@GM.com wrote:
When a body in white is welded up the metal is all bare. then after the
welding is complete it is immersed in some sort of primer coating. The
coverage achieved inside hollow panels (like sills) is probably not as good
as one would like. I have had experience in this area of vehicle
construction for General Motors. If the (usual goo) is applied well inside
the sills and in the dogleg area behind the doors then it will be at least
as good as what BPSL did.

James Jewell <m1garand@speakea To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net sy.net> cc: Sent by: Subject: Rust Dipping/Tanking owner-mgb-v8@auto x.team.net 04/25/2006 10:16 PM Please respond to James Jewell

Has anybody had their MGB tanked/dipped in the last few year? Any price
insight? Only thing that worries me is that it would, in theory, remove
all the paint/primer from within the sills/rocker panels, which would
leave them succeptable to rust. I could spray in the usual goo, but
that wouldn't be as good as primer and paint, would it?
James J.