Re: Tuning help?

To: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Subject: Re: Tuning help?
From: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 07:33:29 -0800
Cc: mgb-v8 <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hi James,

I must have the same model lazer temp guage that you have.  Mine stops
at 515 degrees.  I spoke to Holley tech yesterday and they said that the
glowing headers were a normal condition for an engine on fast idle, 2000
RPM.  They also said that this method of tuning was unreliable and
inefficient.  To use exhuast gas temp for tuning you need to have
pyrometers inserted into the headers at opposite corners of the engine.
Also optimum operating temp for exhaust gas should be around 1300
degrees.  My engine temp at idle is about 190 degrees.

I spoke to my local smog station and they can check my exhaust for
correct mixture.  I will get that done after I fix the clutch and ride
height.  Centeforce told me the clutch I am using, centerforce II, is
not designed to take the kind of horsepower I am developing.  However
there is also a question of whether I have the HTOB preloaded or not.  I
am going to pull it down this weekend and do more measurements to find
out.  There may be a difference between the Checy bearing retainer and
the Ford bearing retainer that I didn't consider on installation.  I
will also pull the clutch and scuff the surfaces before reassembly.
--
        Best Regards,
        Tom