Re: Oil pressure problems

To: MGB-V8 <MGB-V8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil pressure problems
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 13:22:31 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 13:21:57 -0400
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
To: James Nazarian <jhn3@uakron.edu>

If the pump pickup and the gears themselves are close together, it is a
big plus.  On many other engines, the pump is directly above the pickup
tube (and therfore the sump), so the vacuum required to suck oil into
the pump gears is minor.  On the B.O.P.R blocks, the pump is "miles"
away from the pickup.  However, I suspect that there is more to it than
that.  The B.O.P.R. pump is high-volume/low pressure, which would lead
me to believe that it has looser tolerances for moving all that oil.  I
suspect that the vasoline packing helps fill the voids and create enough
vacuum to suck the oil into the gears.
I don't know this for a fact, but "empirical engineering" would seem to
point in this direction.  Any other theories?
James J.