RE: V8 conversion speedo

To: <kdad@ezl.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: V8 conversion speedo
From: "Jim Stuart" <vze3swyy@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:46:57 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Arlie-

My advise is to get a VDO electronic speedo. It is programmable from a small
button on the front, no removing & flipping dip switches like most
electronic speedos. They are made in 2 sizes, 100mm for your dash, 80mm for
the mid year cars. There are choices of senders, but there is a sender that
screws right into the T-5, assuming your T-5 has a gear & was not already
electronic. I believe there is an adapter available for the electronic GM
sender, as well. Failing that, you glue & wire tie 3 or 4 magnets to your
drive shaft & use the magnetic pick up.

I have used both types of senders with excellent results.

The main reason for suggesting the programmable speedo, is that you may well
change the rear you are using to something closer to 3.00 in the future. A
few thousand miles experience will show that 1st gear is seldom used,
running rpm's are high, & you are not getting the full potential of your
engine. When, or if, you change diffs, you are back to re-calibrating your
speedo again. Even a tire size change may require re-calibration. When I
changed from 14" to 15", it took only a short drive & 2 changes in settings
to get everything back to the correct readings.

Both Momo & Nissongers can recalibrate the stock unit for around $70-100.00,
& the VDO with sender is around $150.00. D & D has a cable & reduction gear
to do the same, but the cost is over $100.00, as I remember.

Jim Stuart
replies to  jimbb88@usa.com