Re: found V8 T-5 $75.00/installation questions

To: Julie Ann Phillips <jphillips@cvalley.net>
Subject: Re: found V8 T-5 $75.00/installation questions
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:30:26 -0500
Cc: v8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Greg-

The T-5 uses ATF, not gear oil. You can check with Redline for a synthetic ATF,
which is what I use, sorry I do not remember which product.

The easiest way to drain the transmission out of the car, is to tilt so the
rear is low, & let the fluid drain where the drive shaft yoke fits.

I purchased an angle adapter from D & D, & used the stock cross member with
the ears cut off. Enlarge the drain hole in the cross member & use the
standard GM transmission mount with 1 stud going down, 2 ears that bolt to
the adapter instead of the transmission. I am sure Dan can supply the rubber
mount along with the adapter.

As far as shifters go, the transmission will bolt straight up to the 215 bell
housing, so you will want a shifter that is straight up. You can heat & bend
the shift lever from the Camero, use a shifter from a Chevy S-10 pickup,
modified, or again, D & D can supply a modified shifter. I cut off the lever
from the S-10 shifter & welded an MGB shifter to the stub with a spacer in
between to make the shifter centered in the trans tunnel opening. You should
probably wait until everything is in the car to see exactly what you need.

Jim Stuart

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]