fans & thermo switch

To: MGV8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: fans & thermo switch
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 19:28:37 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
If you own a late model B, 1977 or newer, you should be aware that the
thermo switch gasket is a "one time" use product. Do not expect it to
seal if the switch is removed & then re-installed. I'm not saying it
won't seal, & I am sure someone out there will reply telling me that
they have re-used one 75 times & it is better than new. The factory
service manual says to replace the gasket when replacing the switch, so
that is also my recommendation. I have seen the results of a blown
switch & resultant loss of fluid on a very hot day, & it wasn't pretty.
Besides putting the car out of service, it took the guy a long time to
clean up the mess.

The 1980 switch opens at a higher temp than '77-79, & in my opinion,
should be avoided. The higher operating temp was part of the
anti-poluition thing.

Jags use a similar thermo switch but have a much better gasket which
provides a stronger seal. Sorry I do not have the specific application &
part #, maybe Ed, Lawrie, or Kelvin can help. I used the Jag seal for
years on my 1977 with never a leak or problem.

I think a manual fan switch is cheap insurance, I have always had one on
any car with an electric fan, & I have added a small warning light to
indicate that the fan is on. When it lights up, I pay more attention to
the temp gauge.

Jim Stuart