Re: dual exhaust

To: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Subject: Re: dual exhaust
From: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@colorado.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:49:27 -0600 (MDT)
Cc: MGV8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Jim, My plans are quite radical, but I will share them regardless.  The
headers are custom, exiting just below the bonnet channel through the
fender brace. in the engine compartment the headers join 4-2 and the two
pipes go through the fenderbrace, they then turn back and down behind
where the felder splash sheild is and merge from 2-1 there.  I have
collector mufflers installed at this point, after this the pipes go into
the outer rocker and exit immediately in front of the rear wheels.  The
pipes are trimmed so that they are flush with the dogleg they exit
through, and the outer rocker (the visible part) is held on with Dzus
screws so that it can be removed for mounting/service of the exhaust.
Much of this isn't built yet, but that is how I have done mine.

In reference to your question, I would put the pipes under the axle,
unless they have a sufficient bend in them to clear axle movement.  I
tried this on my B and the axle hit the pipe.  Most speed shops sell
reflective sleeves for the purpose you are describing, they will slip over
the lines to protect them.

James Nazarian
'71 B roadster
'71 BGT ever so slowly turning into a V8
'63 Buick 215

"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"
Enzo Ferrari