RE: MGB-V8 History

To: "'Kai M. Radicke'" <kradick1@ic3.ithaca.edu>, murray arundell <goforit@ecn.net.au>, "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>, Tic Tac Group <uga4300@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: MGB-V8 History
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 06:47:52 -0800
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
We have to keep this in perspective.  The TR7 was sold in the latter half of
the 1970s into the early 80s - the same time that people were buying flare
pants, Izod shirts, and avocado colored refrigerators.  Nearly ALL cars
developed and sold in the late 70s suffered from a severe case of the
uglies, but that's what people wanted back then.

Go find a copy of David Knowles' "MG - The Untold Story" and check out the
photos of the Broadside project car.  This was an attempt to update the TR7
styling when sales started to drop.  The main thing they did was to get rid
of the ugly crease down the side of the car, and it still looks good today!
I would have bought one of those with the Rover V-8 in a minute!

As for the TR7 engine being an engineering marvel, I defy anyone to sing its
praises after having to change a water pump (stupidly buried in the block,
with seals that allow the water to mix with the oil when they fail) or to
remove a cylinder head when the angled studs have seized in place.

MGB-GT V-8s Forever!
Paul Kile