Re: MGB-V8 History

To: "murray arundell" <goforit@ecn.net.au>, "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>, "Tic Tac Group" <uga4300@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: MGB-V8 History
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 14:22:35 -0800
Cc: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Well, owning both...

The TR-8 was/is a mean car in various forms of competition, from
autocross to hill climb, to an SCCA rally championship.  (I've got
a great pic of Buffum with a number of inches of air under all four
tires!)  Excuse my colloquial southern expression, but ain't no way
a 'B will keep up with an TR-8 in basically any kind of motor sports.
(And I for one think that "sports car" means exactly that--a car you
use for sports.)  A V-8 TR-7 once hit over 311 km/h on the Mulsanne,
I don't think a 'B could do that powered by all four of the Rover
alloy V-8 engines I've got!

The TR-7 out sold the TR-6 (in fewer years of production), and people
stayed away in droves?

Looks?  Purely opinion.  I'm not the only one who's had baffled looks
when I tell folks mine's a '77.  A lot of younger enthusiasts really
like 'em, they've almost got a Ferrari/exotic car look to them.  Whether
you like it or not, BL's "shape of..." adverts where pretty much right.

Practically *all* production cars of the '70s understeered like a
proverbial pig.

Build quality and design quality are two different things.  As an engineer,
I deal with this one all the time.  :/

Only one of the TR-7 plants had labor problems (at a time when most
of the UK suffered from same).  The later cars had much better build
quality, but by then, they had a bad reputation, which means, yes,
they had the worst warranty return problem of an BL vehicle.

Really hard to compare 'B to Wedge handling, out of the box both are
fun, but not something I'd care to bet on in competition.  The 'B
can be modified to handle great, but then if you're moding stuff,
the wedge can be built to be as good or better than any modern car,
because, in many ways, the 7/8 was a modern car.

Which do I like best?  Probably my 'B.  Why?  It was my first car.
The TR-7?  My wife has latched on to it.  She's 9 years younger than
I am.  She loves the MGs and Healy Sprite look, but the wedge, to her,
just looks more modern and aggressive.

This is one thread that constantly crops up on various Brit car lists.
The TR-7 did not kill MG or BL, a number of factors did.  The TR-7
was not a horrid car, it was a machine that was supposed to be a V-8
(ever wonder why the engine bay is so big?) that was built by people
who didn't care with an engine that was selected by committee.

Just my friendly flames,

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.TeamSanctuary.com/