Re: Rover's out west now 73B V8 conversion

To: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>
Subject: Re: Rover's out west now 73B V8 conversion
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 21:02:07 -0400
Cc: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net, keithw@sand.net, spontius@worldnet.att.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
I have about 100,000 miles on my stainless headers on the roadster, and
24,000 on the stainless headers on the GT.  This compares with having to
reweld 3 sets of mild steel headers to average 50,000 miles per set, &
they always seemed to leak. None were coated. The worst set was from
"Kirk", who also makes roll bars that don't quite fit. Best set was an
English import, as are the stainless sets.

If you are an occasional driver, mild steel is probably ok, coated is
possibly better. If you drive a lot, 20-30,000 per year, stainless will
be cheapest per mile, IMO.

 I added a '78 dash & boosted brake set up to my '74-1/2 GT, including
the emergency brake handle, with the warning sender, & am very happy
with it. If you do the dash swap, swap the complete wiring harness. This
is a better solution than a cut & paste of the old harness. I had a good
73/74 dash, & I swapped the local British parts/repair emporium my dash
& harness for the 78 dash & harness, even up. They saved the labor, &
had a unit in higher demand, as fewer people wanted to restore a rubber
bumper car.

Jim
2 V8's, no dollars & sense