Re: Lowering Rubber Bumper Car

To: Rick Huber <102221.1716@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Lowering Rubber Bumper Car
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 21:47:47 -0400
Cc: MGB V8 List <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Rick-

I've lowered both my V8's, converted 1 to chrome bumpers.

Easiest way is to do the spring swap in the front,  use lowering blocks
in the rear. You should be able to do this in a day.

Best way is to swap in a front x-member from a 1974 or earlier car,
modify the rack mounts & length of the steering shaft, install CB front
springs; then install CB rear springs, after relocating the front spring
eye mounting location to the CB location (about 1-1/2" higher, you
should be able to see the depression in the spring mount where the
earlier mounting bolt was located).

If it is a weekend driver only, try the first method. If you drive the
car a lot, or if you want the best possible ride, do it the hard,
expensive, way- your a** will thank you, as will your passenger(s).

The front end changes are the most important. Even lowering blocks in
the rear will still give a good ride, as will de-arched rear springs,
but short springs in front mean a stiffer ride, even if they are
designed for this, & suspension travel will be reduced. Reduced travel
will result in the suspension "bottoming out" in harsh conditions, very
jarring & uncomfortable.

Jim Stuart
'75 V8 buckboard
'74-1/2 V8GT Rolls