Re: 3.5 Rover rebuild

To: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Subject: Re: 3.5 Rover rebuild
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 22:52:20 -0400
Cc: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Mike-

Remember that in many cases, Buick parts work just fine. The rocker
shafts are the same as the Buick V8, also lifters.
Melling makes the rebuilt oil pump under $50.00.

No point in putting that hot cam in a 8.whatever motor. Go with at least
9.5 -1 compression, it will run fine on 87 octane unleaded. 9.6 - 1
pistons with rings cost me $200.00 18 months ago when I had my engine
rebuilt.

Talk to Ted Schumaker, on this list, and/or call Dan Lagru to check
parts prices. These are not expensive motors to rebuild, most parts can
be GM or Rover, with GM usually cheaper. Dan will sell you a rebuilt set
of heads for about what you will pay retail for the parts, & I'm sure
Ted is competitive in his pricing. Just buy good, name brand parts, not
necessarily the cheapest.

Check the bore for taper. It may be O.K. at the top, where little wear
occurs, but show a different story by being out of round further down.

Jim