3.5 Rover rebuild

To: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 3.5 Rover rebuild
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 20:27:44 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
I just got my recently purchased 3.5 liter apart and now it's ready for
some machine shop work.  The rod bearings look excellent and the cylinders
show almost no ridge, which means this engine is in great shape,and the
fellow even said it had 150,000 miles on it.

Now I have to spec out some prices for Piper camshaft, new tappets, new
pushrods (if the old ones aren't perfect, rod and main bearings, cam
bearings, rings, and oil pump (if old one isn't up to specs).

Anybody got a good source of quality, inexpensive (if there is such a
thing) parts?
The guy we bought the engine from said an oil pump is $300.  Ridiculous!!

We're bolting on a Holley 4160 (390 cfm) and Offy dual-plane.
270 duration cam or recommended cam from RPI Engineering.

We're thinking of some new pistons with the lousy 8.13 compression, but
price will be the factor.

Lastly, where the heck do I find a manual for this engine?  Range Rover
dealer wants $250 for a manual, and all I need it for is torque specs,
ignition timing, and general engine info.

Thanks a bunch guys and gals
Jay

btw, the guy put a 350 Chevy into his Rover, so he has a fuel injection
system not being used.  he only had the manifold and injectors off and the
electronics are in his engine bay, so I decided against FI.  If anyone
needs a part for their FI, let me know and maybe I can talk him out of it.
His Rover was an '88.