Re: Startup Problems

To: peter-thiel@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: Startup Problems
From: Dave & Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:12:23 -0800
I agree with Pete, regarding having the distributor lined up 1800 out,
but not his method of ensuring that the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug
wire at the correct time.  #1 piston will be at TDC twice for every
rotation of the distributor and so will #4 piston, in fact #1 and  #4
pistons will be at TDC at the same time.  The easiest way to determine
if #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke, ready for the spark is
to remove the plug, put your thumb over the hole and crank the engine
over with the hand crank (if your arms aren't long enough to do that all
at the same time, have a helper crank the engine over).  As #1 piston
comes up on TDC, it will push your thumb off of the hole.  At this
point, look at where the rotor is pointing.  My guess is that it will be
pointing at # 4 plug wire.

Good luck,
Dave