Exhaust bracket follow up - BSF rukles OK!

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Exhaust bracket follow up - BSF rukles OK!
From: "Douglas Ormrod" <Douglas.Ormrod@neurological.org.nz>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:26:23 +1300
Dear T'ers

A few days ago I asked a question about the bolt threads on the side of
TD gearbox that hold on the triangular exhaust bracket. My problem was
that I could get both an 8mm and 5/16 BSF bolt in half a turn - but then
met resistance. Gearbox is in the car so difficult to see inside the
hole and I did not want to apply pressure till I knew the correct
thread.

I received 6 replies - four in favour of 8mm metric, one for BSW and one
for 5/16 BSF from Ed Wood. Being a democratic kind of guy I decided to
go with 8mm and let all the people who emailed know of this decision
when I replied to them

Ed got back to me and was politely insistent that, bizarre as it seems,
those bolts are 5/16 BSF - even offering to freight me some to prove his
point.  So, buoyed by the courage of his conviction I offered up nice
clean 5/16 BSF screws to the holes and after a little initial resistance
- probably paint - they slipped right in. Of course if I had tried the
same thing with 8mm screws I would now be in some trouble.

I felt I should share this obscure but important piece of info for the
benefit of all.

So thanks again.

Douglas